Monday, October 1, 2007

Brussels Sprouts


I have an increasingly long list of things I thought I hated for various reasons. At the top of the list has always been those tiny, squishy, sulphury balls of mush that loll limply around the plate, making everything smell like cabbage and not in a good beer-hall-sausage-on-the-way way. Ersatz vegetables foisted on defenseless elementary school students by a system that also defines ketchup as a vegetable.

But maybe not.

I'm taking Alice Waters' words to heart and trying to eat locally. Or, if not locally, at least seasonally. And what's in season now? Brussel sprouts. I happened upon some at Sunflower Market that didn't look demonic at all. They were actually cute. So, like I do with cute things (shoes, cats, etc.), I took them home.

Trimmed and cut lengthwise, braised in French butter and water, then sautéed golden after the water boiled away. A dab of cream, a crumble of chestnuts and they became…good. Really good. "Hey, I'd make this again" good. Snuggled (cutely) next to a roasted chicken and mashed potatoes, it was a lovely comfy dinner for the first brisk night of fall.

Here's the recipe from Epicurious I didn't follow so much as sidle.

5 comments:

Allison said...

I too assumed I didn't like brussels, until they were done right--very similar to your recipe, but instead of boiling in water, we do a half water, half chicken stock mix. Adding some scallops and or bacon is also quite good.

silver said...

Oh that sounds lovely as well. And, of course, adding bacon works with just about anything except maybe (MAYBE) dirt.

Anonymous said...

Even easier -- try halving them, tossing them with oil, salt and pepper, and roasting at 425 till crispy and starting to caramelize. YUM!

silver said...

That would be even easier. Thanks, guys! I may go from a cautious sprouts lover to a giant fan. Any suggestions for beets.......?

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah! Get fresh sweet baby beets, drizzle with oil, wrap in foil and roast in the oven. The skins slip off (do it over the sink!) and they are heaven! Dice and dress with pistachio oil vinaigrette (with some chopped nuts.)