Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Stinky Cheese. Market didn't have it, Web does



Indy has a few good sources of cheese. The Cheese Shop in the Mall is okay, if unexciting, and The Fresh Market is getting better but it's no Dean and Deluca.

For really great cheese you pretty much have to travel. Good thing that's one of my favorite things to do. A few weekends ago, my esteemed colleague and I visited Chicago and ended up at TRU, Rick Tramonto's experimental house of food worship on North St. Claire. I'll save the rundown of the courses for another day; this is just about the cheese. One of the most varied and creative and daring cheese trays I've seen in the U.S. I HAD to know where they get it and the answer for many of them was Murray's, a shop I know but have yet to visit in NY.

So I visited the web site instead. My order arrived yesterday. I ripped open the box and the unmistakable smell of raw milk cheese swept through the room like the unmistakable smell of raw milk cheese. "Did you order something dead?" quipped a nearby coworker. I popped the box in the refrigerator and later heard another one yell, "Something in the fridge is rotten!" Heh. Perfect. And that's in its packaging, ice cold, and in a closed cardboard box, so just imagine when it's out at room temp, next to a little bit of compote and maybe some honey for the blue….

Ahem. So, the point is, dear reader, stinky cheese IS available in Indy. You just have to be patient. And have understanding coworkers.

Visit Murray's Cheese and TRU for more yummy foodstuffs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved when I worked in an office and I could get weird stuff delivered! Cavier, jams, oh, and foie gras. The stinkier the better (or requiring large and elaborate packaging.)

Anonymous said...

Taste cafe and marketplace has a great cheese counter. I happen to know that they source alot of stuff from Murry's as well.

silver said...

Oh yes. Taste does have a nice little selection. Thank you for reminding me. And the frites are yummy too. Hmmm...forming a plan....

I also got goose rillettes and these funky pear tomato pickle things in that Murray's shipment. I love the Internet.